Thursday, December 5, 2013

Snowman Crafts--Sock Snowman

Snowman Crafts
Sock Snowman

Our school offers After School Enrichment classes for students. I decided, since I work there now, that I would teach a snowman craft class for 5 weeks.
While I thought I would write a post each week about what we made, it turns out I was too busy with 3rd grade homework to make that happen. Plus we were so busy in class, I didn't take pictures of anything!!
Only took pictures of my kids & their stuff once we got home.

Now that class is over, I will share what we made--we had so much fun!!

I had 11 students total, ranging in age from 5-12. They all did a great job and we made many projects!

To get ready for the class, I started a Snowman Class board on Pinterest (of course).

The first class we made Sock Snowmen. 



My kids each made a demo at home so we would see how it worked so they ended up with two.

I pinned several sock snowmen on Pinterest and used ideas from all of them to make ours.  The best tutorial came from this one.  Except for the hat, I took the idea of just rolling down the top of the sock from this tutorial (which is also a good tutorial).

I have a craft room and have accumulated a lot of supplies.  I pulled out my buttons, ribbon, pompoms, glue, batting & puffy paint. 
I bought 3-packs of white, men's socks from the Dollar Tree and rice from the grocery store.

Each child got a sock and I filled the bottom of the sock with about a 1/3 bag of the rice. I would say 3/4-1 cup of rice. Then the kids filled up the rest of the sock with batting.  Fill it up to the bottom of the ribbed top part of the sock (or less if you want it shorter) and rubber band the sock closed. (NOTE: in one of our demos, we used popcorn instead of rice, but you could see it through the sock. So I would definitely use white rice, not popcorn.)

Fold the top of the sock over onto the top part of the batting filled part.  This makes your hat--tack it down with a little glue.

Then decorate how you choose!!  We used Tacky Glue to glue all the parts on. The kids were all so creative and really made them their own creations.  As you can see from Landon's picture above, he made his with batting hair.

This was my first class and over all it went well!  The only thing I would change is using black puffy paint.  It got a little out of control.  My oldest student decided to polka-dot her top pompom--an idea that several others decided to do too!!
Pretty soon we had puffy paint everywhere.
Also, the ribbon scarves got into some of the puffy painted mouths and ended up everywhere.
We quickly had to remake one girls' snowman before we left.
I suppose if you were making at home where the paint could just dry and did not have to be transported, it would be ok to use.

My goal was to also make a thumbprint snowman ornament.  We got the thumbprints done, but didn't complete the ornaments.
So we finished those the next week...will tell you about those in the next post!!

Overall, an easy, cheap and fun project!!



No comments:

Post a Comment