Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Snowman Crafts--Wooden Snowman & Bottle cap Ornament

Snowman Crafts
4x4 Snowman & Bottle cap Ornament

The 4th week, we made snowmen out of a piece of 4x4 and and ornament using bottle caps.

I bought a 10 foot long 4x4 board from Lowes and asked my brother-in-law to cut it into six 12 inch pieces and six 8 inch pieces. The younger siblings & kids made the smaller size and the older siblings/kids made the bigger size.



I painted the wooden pieces prior to class to save time.
We used adult size fuzzy gloves from the Dollar Tree for the hats.  We put a Kroger plastic bag in the glove to help puff it up a bit, then tied a piece of string around the finger holes to make it look like a hat.

I had scraps of fleece that I cut into strips for the scarves. I purchased a pack of bells at the Dollar Tree to tie on the scarves. I found a pack of wooden oval pieces at Hobby Lobby that I painted orange for the noses.

The kids picked buttons and a nose to glue on and used Sharpies to decorate the face.  Some decided their snowmen needed hair and other accessories so they went to town with the Sharpies making the Snowmen their own creations.

I found the idea of using a 4x4 from and Etsy shop and used this tutorial for the glove hat idea.

For the ornament, I had Kevin save his beer bottle lids for several weeks. I spray painted them white to cover all the labels and sprayed them with glitter spray just for fun.

I painted Popsicle sticks navy blue, sprayed them with glitter spray and glued a looped string on the back for a hanger.

The kids decorated 2 out of 3 bottle caps for their snowman ornament.  One with a face & the middle with button.  We used Sharpies to do this.
Then they glued the bottle caps onto the Popsicle sticks and the ornament was done!!

No comments:

Post a Comment