Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Cinnamon Rolls

I remember making homemade cinnamon rolls with my mom when I was little.  A year or so ago, I decided I wanted to make some.  Unfortunately, no seems to be able to find my mom's recipe...so I turned to Pinterest.

I pinned several recipes. Based on what I can remember, this recipe is the closest to my mom's. I made these last year and they were so yummy!! So I decided to make some more today and write about it.

A few weeks ago I pinned a blog post about making perfect cinnamon rolls.  Turns out it was by the same blog/writer as the recipe I made last year! Find the tips here.

I didn't take many pictures. It's hard to take them with messy, baking hands. 

The recipe is easy to follow. The only thing I didn't like is that it doesn't give exact measurements for the filling. I doubt my mom's recipe did either--I remember just sprinkling it on. BUT I had pinned a couple of different recipes, so I took the measurements for filling from there & made up my own mixture.  
For the filling I used: 1/2 cup white sugar, 1/2 cup brown sugar & 2.5 Tbs cinnamon. Mix well. I spread about 1/2 stick of softened butter on the dough before covering with the cinnamon/sugar mixture.

After cutting the dough into rolls, I took a tip from her tip page and let the cinnamon rolls rise separately before placing them in a pan to bake.  (Last time I placed in the pan to rise like her original recipe called for.) I'm really going to have to take pictures next time...they are huge!!
Also from the tip page--use dental floss to cut the rolls.  Seriously, it's the only way to go.

I ended up with 17 rolls.  It just depends on how thick you cut them. Don't these look awesome?!!?!?!?


The pan on the left has icing, the other doesn't.  I used the recipe from the blog I linked above.  Powdered sugar, butter & vanilla.  I added water rather than milk to get to the consistency I wanted. 

Homemade cinnamon rolls take time to make, but they are so worth it!!  You can make ahead & store in the fridge prior to baking, then bake the following morning. 
OR
You can have them for dinner like we are going to!



No comments:

Post a Comment