Friday, February 15, 2013

Day 3-Clean make-up brushes

40 days of Pinterest--Day 3

Here is something I think I pinned under Handy Tips--cleaning make-up brushes.

I grew up in a house of girls.  Family of 5, 4 of which were girls...with 1 bathroom.  You learned to get ready fast.  If you weren't ready when dad was ready to go, you weren't going. And there was no way we were going to be late, to anything.  I tell you this because I'm sure this is one of the reasons why I'm not a girly-girl.  

I do wear make-up, but not a lot.  Luckily I learned from these blogs that other girls don't clean their make-up brushes like they should either.  So it's not just that I lack girly-girl skills. It's just one of those things that everyone should do more often than they actually do.  
I'm pretty sure I'm just rambling now, so I will just get to it.

I pinned a couple of different cleaning techniques.  One blog I scrapped because many of the comments were negative.  I had 2 others pinned, with different cleaning solutions that both had positive comments.  So I decided to try both.
One used water, vinegar & liquid soap. You can find that here.
The other used olive oil & liquid soap. Find that one here.

I wasn't going to take pictures--these tutorials have it covered.  But once I got started, I figured I should show if it was really working.

Here are all my brushes.  Being non-girly, I don't actually use all of these all the time.  But if I'm going to clean, might as well clean them all.

Here is my plate with olive oil & blue Dawn dish soap. I had already cleaned one small brush, so that is the weird colored part on the plate.


The water, vinegar, blue Dawn soap mixture.


This is the first brush I tried in the vinegar/soap/water mixture.  See how it's kinda pink colored on the ends?


Here it is after I cleaned it.  The ends are actually white!!  Nice, huh?


Here is the vinegar/soap/water mixture--after washing just that one brush.  Feel free to gasp in horror.  I did.  So gross! 


All the nice, clean brushes!


I cleaned the bigger ones in the vinegar mixture.  It was just easier to swirl them in a glass than glob them up on the plate of oil & soap.  The small ones were cleaned with the oil/soap mixture. 

RESULTS--I liked both!! They were both easy, took little time and cleaned the brushes really well!!  I ended up making each solution a couple of times so I wasn't trying to clean brushes in dirty soap.  

So if you've pinned a tutorial for cleaning your make-up brushes, just go ahead & do it!!

See you tomorrow for Day 4!

No comments:

Post a Comment