Monday, February 25, 2013

Day 12--Cleaning tips I tried today

We've all had the snot/cough/cold gunk the past week or so.  Especially Kevin & I.  Last week I felt like poo, so little cleaning was done.  So today, things needed to be done, why not try some of those cleaning tips I pinned on Pinterest!

First, I started with our kitchen. We have a bad habit of letting dishes pile in the sink. Don't judge, neither of us like kitchen clean-up duty.  So after unloading & loading the dishwasher, I cleaned the sink.  I like to use Comet. 
See how shiny it is?!?!??!


(This is just what I do to clean the sink. Not a pin from Pinterest.  I really just wanted/needed a picture on here today, so why not a shiny sink picture?)

Microwave Cleaning

While I was cleaning counter tops, I checked the microwave. Not terrible, but dirty.  I remembered that I had pinned a tip for cleaning microwaves.  Decided to try it out. 
Find the link here
I debated whether or not to try...it wasn't that dirty, I could spray it with cleaner & scrub it.  But I'm so glad I decided to try it!!  Cup of vinegar & cup of water, heat for 10 minutes. Loosens everything that is stuck & you just wipe down!

Garbage Disposal Cleaning

While looking for the microwave cleaner instructions, I saw the pin for cleaning your garbage disposal. Why not try it too, while I was at it!! Find it here. It's the 2nd idea listed on this site. So I put 1/4th cup of baking soda down the disposal & let it sit. After the vinegar was finished in the microwave, I poured the hot vinegar down the disposal drain.  Bubbled up just like it was supposed to!!
Honestly, I am not sticking my hand down there, so I will just assume that it is all clean!!

Towel Washing

Before I started cleaning the kitchen I decided to try a pin for washing towels.  Idea pinned from here. This site lists 10 cleaning tips. If you want to go straight to the towel cleaning site/instructions, click here
You wash your towels first with vinegar & hot water, then wash again with baking soda & hot water. 

They smell clean, like baking soda.  I guess we will have to see in the morning if they absorb better & don't smell funky. Will keep you posted about this one...

So there you go. Some cleaning tips to try. 
Microwave cleaner. Too easy!! Would DEFINITELY recommend trying it!
Disposal cleaning is easy, just no real way to know that it worked. (At least that I want to try.)
Towel washing was easy enough, if you have time to devote to 2 washing loads for both steps.  Will let you know later if I would recommend it.

House is cleaner and now the kids are home...so not sure how long it will last :)

No comments:

Post a Comment