Thursday, February 28, 2013

Day 15--Sharpie creations

There are plenty of pins on Pinterest about decorating mugs/bowls/plates with Sharpies. 

At Christmastime, my younger sister asked me to make a teapot for a good friend of hers.  Here is what we made.


Fun, right?? Her friend LOVED it!
My older sister wrote "I pity the fool who don't like tea" around the lid. Too funny :)

So today I decided to try some Sharpie art again. 

I started with putting the pictures I wanted in a Word Doc so I could crop & make them the size I needed.



Then I color very dark with a pencil on the back of the picture.


Positioned & taped the pictures on the mug & bowl.


Trace around all parts of the image. I traced over the words too, just to be safe. I'm decent at free handing letters, but I wanted to be sure on placement. (Press down hard.)

If you are doing this, keep in mind that bowls & mugs are rounded!!  The image & words may not lay exactly flat on the surface!

After tracing, un-tape one side, to peek at the image.


Only peek, in case you need to trace parts again.  You DO NOT want to have to try to re-position the picture if you un-tape the whole thing and need to trace more.

When you are satisfied with the transfer, remove the picture. Trace & fill in with sharpie. 
Work carefully and keep in mind that the pencil will rub off. If you lay your hand down to trace, you could end up rubbing off other parts of your design. 

All the pinned tutorials seem to agree on baking at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Most say to put in a cold oven, place items in, turn oven on, bake for 30 minutes.  Then leave the items in the oven to cool down.  

Here are the finished items I made today!


I will say that the teapot we made & the tea mug I made today will be for display purposes only. Many of the tutorials have comments about the sharpie not staying on.
I would recommend hand washing any items you intend on using regularly.

There are so many things you could do with sharpies and dinnerware items!  Let your imagination go...or search on Pinterest for ideas :)

NOTE: we got the idea for the teapot here, which led me to find the idea for the bowl & mug. It's a great Etsy shop that makes their items with more permanent ink, not just sharpies.

No comments:

Post a Comment