Saturday, February 16, 2013

Day 4-Bake a Level Cake

Day 4--Baking a Level Cake

While looking for Christmas gift ideas, I found these:
Wilton Small Bake Even Strips,Set of 2: Amazon.com: Kitchen & Dining
Bake even strips made by Wilton.  Supposed to make your cakes bake evenly, keeping the centers from rising so high. Neat idea, right?

But then, of course, there was an idea on Pinterest.  

Simply cut strips of an old towel, wet them with cold water and pin them around your pans.  You can find the idea here.  

Seems easy enough. And since I need to bake a cake for a special day tomorrow, I figured I would give this idea a shot for today's post.


I cut up an old Christmas kitchen towel. The long edge wouldn't fit around the pan, so I cut 2 strips from the short end to wrap around the pan. (2 strips for each pan)




Here are the pans before I put in the oven. I wasn't going to put them on a cookie sheet like she recommends in her blog, but when I put one pan in, the towel started sizzling.  Then the towel fell off the other pan, so I decided it might be best to use the cookie sheet. 



Finished cakes.  Not completely level, still slightly domed. I would say more flat than when I usually bake, but not totally flat.


I think next time I may try a thicker towel. I would definitely recommend trying this if you want level cakes!!

Stay tuned for Day 5 to see what this cake is for :)



No comments:

Post a Comment