Monday, March 4, 2013

Day 18--Burlap Cross

I pinned a Burlap Cross on my Craft Ideas board 40 weeks ago.  It linked to an Etsy shop, but is no longer available to buy. I always knew I could make it myself, just hadn't taken the time to do so until today.  


I think it turned out pretty!!

I folded my burlap in half & drew the cross I wanted, then cut both layers together to make my front & back.
While spray painting my chalkboard plate from yesterday's post, I spray painted my burlap cross pieces. I did this so my paint would not soak through quite so much and adhere to the burlap better. It worked well.


You can kind of see in the picture above that I traced circles on various parts of my cross.  I chose 5 colors & ended up with 10 circles. So 2 of each color.


I painted the center of each circle so I could paint a white border around each.
The acrylic paint I have dries fairly quickly especially with a fast ceiling fan on to help it out :)

Next I painted all the rest of the cross and added the word "Rejoice".


I glued the two crosses together using Tacky Glue. I've used hot glue before & sometimes it comes apart especially when outside in the weather. I left an opening on one side to stuff the cross after the glue dried.

Then I stuffed the cross with Kroger plastic grocery bags. We have a ton of them, might as well use them!

Glued the hole shut (held it together with binder clips & clothespins until the glue dried a bit).

Put some wire through the top corners to create a hanger, sprayed it with clear spray to help seal it & it's done!!

Hanging on my front door!!! I love it!





No comments:

Post a Comment